New Staff Orientation is VUMC's way of welcoming you to a thriving cultural center that embraces and celebrates diverse talents and contributions. Designed with you in mind, New Staff Orientation teaches everything you need to know as you begin your VUMC career.
New Medical Center staff will attend Medical Center Orientation as their first day of work. In addition, Medical Center staff working directly with patients in inpatient and outpatient clinical settings will also attend a Clinical Orientation program.
Your department will register you for the necessary orientation session(s) and will provide you with that information. If you have not received orientation information before your first day of work, please refer to the Who to Contact section below to find appropriate contact information for each orientation.
- Onboarding Portal: Check your "Save the Date" email for a link to your onboarding portal site. Use the temporary candidate ID and password listed in that email to access the portal until your VUNetID is created. A video demonstration on accessing the portal can be found here. (VUNetID required)
- Immunizations: Click on the "Immunization Status" tab in the onboarding portal to upload your records and review the required health services for new employees.
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification: You should receive an email on or before your hire date with the instructions to complete the I-9 form. The link for Part 1 comes from Sterling Talent Solutions and must be completed by your hire date. You will complete Part 2 at orientation. Click here for more information.
- VUNetID: This is your personal username to access your new VUMC email and our networks. You should receive an email on or before your hire date with instructions on how to claim and activate your VUNetID. This message will come from your supervisor to your personal email address. Instructions can be found here.
- ID Badge Photo: The photo for your ID badge can be uploaded in the onboarding portal or taken on your first day during the orientation registration.
- Parking: For your first day, park in the N Lot 73A in any numbered parking space and take a shuttle to the Medical Center. The address for the location is Parking Lot 73A, Nashville, TN 37212. For a map of the parking lot and shuttle instructions, click here.
- Benefits: You may want to review VUMC benefits information before your first day. Click here to see details on benefits for which you may qualify. Note: a VUNet ID is required to view Benefits information.
When and Where to Go
Medical Center Orientation
This orientation is offered most Mondays from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Langford Auditorium. See this map for more information. Check-in begins at 7 a.m. and the program starts promptly at 8 a.m. If you are going to be late, please contact your supervisor to reschedule.
Clinical Orientation is typically offered twice a month from Monday-Wednesday at 3401 West End, Suite 100. On arrival to Clinical Orientation you will receive additional information about your orientation itinerary based on your job role. Mondays, at the close of Medical Center Orientation, a Clinical Orientation representative will be in Langford Lobby for your convenience. This person can provide you with information regarding transportation to 3401, check-in times, answer questions and provide additional information. See the information below for more parking and transportation information.
Where to Park
Medical Center Orientation
Natchez Trace (N) Lot Parking Instructions: Free parking for orientation is available in the N Lot 73A. Enter from Natchez Trace via West End Ave. or Blakemore Ave. or from Vanderbilt Place. See this parking map. Park in lot 73A in any numbered parking space on the corner of Vanderbilt Place and 31st Ave., near the red star on the map. Parking lot entrances are marked by the blue X's on the map. Look for a bus stop shelter near lot 73A . There is a stop by the blue bus icon on the map. Take the BLUE shuttle which arrives every 5 minutes to Medical Center North (MCN) by the Eskind Biomedical Library. Please allow at least 15 minutes travel time between locations. Click here to locate orientation parking via Apple Maps. Click here to use Google Maps.
Orientation Location Directions:
- Walk – Exit the parking lot via Natchez Trace or Vanderbilt Place. Head towards Jess Neely Dr. by the football stadium. Turn left on 24th Ave. Cross the street at Garland Ave. and turn right. Walk down Garland until it ends in front of Medical Center North and the Eskind Biomedical Library, then make a right into the plaza. Orientation is in Langford Auditorium, one building down to the right in the plaza.
- Shuttle – From N Lot 73A, take the BLUE shuttle, which arrives every 5 minutes. Exit at Medical Center North by the Eskind Biomedical Library. Turn right in front of the Medical Center North (MCN) into the plaza. Langford Auditorium is the second building to the right in the plaza.
- Taxi/Drop off address – 2209 Garland Ave. Nashville, TN 37232
- MTA – Hillsboro 7 Bus: get off at Medical Center Drive, walk up the sidewalk next to the hospital indicated on the east side of the map.
- Google Maps - Type in “Langford Auditorium” in the Google Maps search bar to guide you right to the building.
View this video for parking and transportation information. Day 1 of clinical orientation will take place in Light Hall Room 202, 2215 Garland Ave. Light Hall is adjacent to Langford Auditorium. Day 2 and 3 of Clinical Orientation will take place at 3401 West End Ave. Visit their website here for more details on parking and orientation directions.
What to Expect
The orientation presentation will begin promptly at 8 a.m.* Registration will begin at 7 a.m. Between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m., you will complete on-site:
- Check in and receive orientation materials
- I-9 Part 2 by showing your acceptable identification documents
- ID Badge photo and credentials verified
- A review of outstanding immunizations, if needed
- VUMC IT Assistance
* Please allow travel time to check in and complete the stations before 8 a.m.
Medical Center Orientation
This orientation is divided into three main themes: Understanding Vanderbilt Culture, Meeting Your Basic Needs, and Preparing You for Success. During this orientation, you will learn the following:
- Vanderbilt's history and mission
- Benefits of being a Vanderbilt employee
- How Vanderbilt keeps its employees safe, healthy, and happy
- How to be a successful Vanderbilt employee
- How to complete new employee paperwork and get started in your Vanderbilt career
Employees who attend this orientation will also learn the following:
- VUMC mission and goals
- How the orientation process works: what to focus on during the first 30 days, 90-180 days, then annually and ongoing
- Credo behaviors and standards of conduct
- Customer service and service recovery
Employees who attend this orientation and are recognized as requiring N-95 fit testing will be trained and fit tested by VEHS. Individuals must be clean shaven (no stubble) OR have a mustache/goatee that does not interfere with where the mask seals to the face to be Fit Tested. Shaving the same day as the fit test is recommended. Check out this video to see acceptable facial hair styles for N-95 use.
For those scheduled for Clinical Orientation, it will immediately follow Medical Center Orientation. Visit their website for more information.
What to Bring
All New Staff:
- Identification for I-9 employment eligibility verification (see I-9)
- A jacket as the room is set to cooler temperatures.
- Copies of your immunization records. Review VUMC's health screening and immunization requirements prior to orientation.
No additional materials are needed for Clinical Orientation.
What to Wear
Business casual attire or work clothes/uniform are recommended for all orientations. The new staff orientation program is considered paid work time, so we ask that you dress as you would for a day at work. Check with your supervisor for any other instructions.
Who to Contact
Each piece of the orientation program has a different contact person or team. Contact your supervisor first for general orientation/onboarding information and your work schedule.
Employee Service Center
Contact the Vanderbilt Wilson County Human Resources department for more information regarding your specific orientation details at 615.443.2506.